From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:59:21
1 On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:05:11 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 00:37:22 +0200
5 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > Every time this comes up we explain why. Please refer to those
8 > threads for the complete story.
9
10 Which threads?
11
12 > In short:
13 > Toolchain packages, for better or worse, are built by eclass. We are
14 > not forward-porting toolchain.eclass every time someone decides there
15 > are too many EAPIs in the tree.
16
17 Did you ever try it?
18
19 > Every change to that eclass breaks something (the trick is to break
20 > things people don't care about any more and hope no one notices).
21
22 That's exactly what legacy code does if nobody maintains it. The trick
23 is to make an end to that soon; because the longer you keep this
24 around, the more you will break in the future. Are you going to wait
25 for the moment that changes are really required but can't be applied?
26
27 > I don't know the ins and outs of glibc's eblits but I doubt they would
28 > be simple to port either. I also don't know much about
29 > toolchain-binutils.eclass, but it seems like it would be doable.
30
31 Someone would know; if not, we'll have to do some re-engineering.
32
33 > Other packages are already on later EAPIs.
34
35 Cool.
36
37 > There is no reason to remove EAPI 0. Leave it as the baseline that
38 > other EAPI's are defined by. Most devs will not be dealing with
39 > these packages, so it really doesn't affect them. Since there is no
40 > reason to remove it, we will continue to use it.
41
42 Of course there is a reason, getting rid of unmaintainable legacy code.
43 That shouldn't be representative as a baseline for current code. Sadly,
44 I see such ebuilds on more than a weekly basis, you can't really avoid
45 it give that 25% of the repository consists of it. If you can't refactor
46 it in place, you may opt to rewrite it in an overlay; in EAPI 5 or 6.
49 With kind regards,
50
51 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
52 Gentoo Developer
53
54 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
55 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
56 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D