From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 01:55:10
1 On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 00:37:22 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Samstag, 6. April 2013, 23:43:14 schrieb Ryan Hill:
5 > > On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:54:50 +0200
6 > >
7 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > I'd be a little more proactive and deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 immediately
9 > > > (which would correspond to the 4 years mentioned above). When doing a
10 > > > version or revision bump, the ebuild should be updated to use a newer
11 > > > EAPI. There can be exceptions, e.g. for security bumps.
12 > >
13 > > Toolchain packages are EAPI 0 and we aren't changing.
14 >
15 > That sounds a bit like "over my ..."
16 > Care to elaborate why?
17
18 Every time this comes up we explain why. Please refer to those threads for the
19 complete story.
20
21 In short:
22 Toolchain packages, for better or worse, are built by eclass. We are not
23 forward-porting toolchain.eclass every time someone decides there are too many
24 EAPIs in the tree. Every change to that eclass breaks something (the trick is
25 to break things people don't care about any more and hope no one notices). I
26 don't know the ins and outs of glibc's eblits but I doubt they would be simple
27 to port either. I also don't know much about toolchain-binutils.eclass, but
28 it seems like it would be doable.
29
30 Other packages are already on later EAPIs.
31
32 There is no reason to remove EAPI 0. Leave it as the baseline that other
33 EAPI's are defined by. Most devs will not be dealing with these packages, so
34 it really doesn't affect them. Since there is no reason to remove it, we will
35 continue to use it.
39 gcc-porting
40 toolchain, wxwidgets by design, by neglect
41 @ gentoo.org for a fact or just for effect