From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:06:25
1 On 03/29/2014 09:30 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:50:36 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Okay I'd like to add an agenda item. A policy inspired by bug
6 >> #506034.
7 >
8 > (PS: Bug #506114 could be relevant to your item)
9 >
10 > Same here, let's take this a step further and extend this to profiles.
11 > A policy inspired by bug #435094 and bug #506142.
12 >
13 >> Motion: "Significant changes to virtuals are to be discussed (via
14 >> mailing list or bugzilla) with all the maintainers and/or herds which
15 >> maintain packages those virtuals depend on."
16 >
17 > Motion: "Significant changes to profiles are to be discussed (via
18 > mailing list or bugzilla) with all the maintainers and/or herds that
19 > rely on what gets changed in the profiles."
20 >
21 >> Discussion: "Like eclasses, changes to virtuals can affect all the
22 >> packages which depend on them. Changing existing virtuals, removing
23 >> virtuals or adding new ones affect the packages they depend on. When
24 >> such a change is proposed, all maintainers affected need to be
25 >> included in the discussion."
26 >
27 > Discussion: "Like eclasses and virtuals, changes to the profiles affect
28 > a set of packages at once. For instance, adding or removing a mask or
29 > force can result in something becoming forced or optional. If something
30 > is assumed to be forced, or optional; it can result in breakage, we
31 > would like to prevent huge breakage. When such change is proposed, all
32 > maintainers affected need to be included in the discussion."
33 >
34 > Concern: "Unawareness, possible breakage and a lack of cooperation."
38 Tom, I agree. This does seem like a good idea. An example here are
39 some of the ABI variables that were introduced. I maintain some
40 profiles which stack differently than default/linux/amd64/13.0 and
41 getting a heads up about changes in the layers of the default profiles
42 would have helped.
45 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
46 Chair of Information Technology
47 D'Youville College