From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:36:44
1 On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:07:02AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 03/29/2014 09:30 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:50:36 -0400
4 > > "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Okay I'd like to add an agenda item. A policy inspired by bug
7 > >> #506034.
8 > >
9 > > (PS: Bug #506114 could be relevant to your item)
10 > >
11 > > Same here, let's take this a step further and extend this to profiles.
12 > > A policy inspired by bug #435094 and bug #506142.
13 > >
14 > >> Motion: "Significant changes to virtuals are to be discussed (via
15 > >> mailing list or bugzilla) with all the maintainers and/or herds which
16 > >> maintain packages those virtuals depend on."
17 > >
18 > > Motion: "Significant changes to profiles are to be discussed (via
19 > > mailing list or bugzilla) with all the maintainers and/or herds that
20 > > rely on what gets changed in the profiles."
21 > >
22 > >> Discussion: "Like eclasses, changes to virtuals can affect all the
23 > >> packages which depend on them. Changing existing virtuals, removing
24 > >> virtuals or adding new ones affect the packages they depend on. When
25 > >> such a change is proposed, all maintainers affected need to be
26 > >> included in the discussion."
27 > >
28 > > Discussion: "Like eclasses and virtuals, changes to the profiles affect
29 > > a set of packages at once. For instance, adding or removing a mask or
30 > > force can result in something becoming forced or optional. If something
31 > > is assumed to be forced, or optional; it can result in breakage, we
32 > > would like to prevent huge breakage. When such change is proposed, all
33 > > maintainers affected need to be included in the discussion."
34 > >
35 > > Concern: "Unawareness, possible breakage and a lack of cooperation."
39 > Tom, I agree. This does seem like a good idea. An example here are
40 > some of the ABI variables that were introduced. I maintain some
41 > profiles which stack differently than default/linux/amd64/13.0 and
42 > getting a heads up about changes in the layers of the default profiles
43 > would have helped.
44
45 I understand the concerns, but I am with hasufell on both of these.
46
47 We are supposed to be a team, and if a few people aren't team players,
48 I would rather see energy spent on fixing that issue instead of trying
49 to legislate every possible corner case.
50
51 William