From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:25:32
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 01-08-2011 18:47, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > After the new council was setup, a "introductionary" meeting was held
6 > to get the new council members going a bit. Since this meeting
7 > replaced an ordinary meeting, it is considered a waste of time by
8 > some [1].
9 >
10 > Roy Bamford suggested to change the scheme to "Two year terms and
11 > elections every year for half the seats."
12 >
13 > This requires an update to GLEP39 [2] on all points that reference
14 > the one year period of the council. It requires addition of the two
15 > overlapping terms, and dealing with the "less than 50% attendance"
16 > point.
17 >
18 > Voting for this point makes little to no sense for as long as the
19 > implications to GLEP39 and possibly other organisational issues
20 > aren't clear. Hence, at this stage, brief discussion by the council
21 > in the next meeting can only make it clear if the current council has
22 > the intention to supports a change like this or not.
23
24 As I've expressed already a few times, I strongly disagree with the
25 Council being able to change the rules that govern it. In my view, this
26 topic belongs to a reform of GLEP39.
27
28 Also, as documented on the last meeting's summary[1], the current
29 council voted on not being able to update GLEP39:
30
31 Donnie asked for a clarification by the council members on whether they
32 think a global dev vote is required to update GLEP39 or not. The
33 council voted 5 yes and 1 no that the council can't change GLEP39 as it
34 requires a full developer vote.
35
36 [1] -
37 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110715-summary.txt
38
39 > Please discuss how to implement a change like this. Starting point
40 > would be to see what changes would be necessary to GLEP39. Also,
41 > whether the term would have to become 2 year, or the votings be twice
42 > a year. All contributions, objections or alternative ideas welcome.
43
44 - From my experience in the council, I think 2 year terms are too long.
45 Having overlapping terms might work or not, I'd say it depends on who is
46 elected to the council - although they can help in the transition.
47 One thing I dislike in Roy's proposal is moving from 7 to 5 council
48 members. I think the current number is a good balance between a cohesive
49 body and a representative body and that a council with only 5 members is
50 getting too thin.
51
52 > [1]
53 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/msg_57311d9d940106bc9b4c039707e0c953.xml
56 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0039.html
57
58 - --
59 Regards,
60
61 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
62 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng