From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 06:37:06
On 01-08-2011 23:24:56 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> As I've expressed already a few times, I strongly disagree with the > Council being able to change the rules that govern it. In my view, this > topic belongs to a reform of GLEP39. > > Also, as documented on the last meeting's summary[1], the current > council voted on not being able to update GLEP39: > > Donnie asked for a clarification by the council members on whether they > think a global dev vote is required to update GLEP39 or not. The > council voted 5 yes and 1 no that the council can't change GLEP39 as it > requires a full developer vote. > > [1] - > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110715-summary.txt
Right, which means to me that if the council agrees on a certain change to GLEP39, it has to organise a full developer vote with all the supporting material for the change.
> > Please discuss how to implement a change like this. Starting point > > would be to see what changes would be necessary to GLEP39. Also, > > whether the term would have to become 2 year, or the votings be twice > > a year. All contributions, objections or alternative ideas welcome. > > - From my experience in the council, I think 2 year terms are too long. > Having overlapping terms might work or not, I'd say it depends on who is > elected to the council - although they can help in the transition. > One thing I dislike in Roy's proposal is moving from 7 to 5 council > members. I think the current number is a good balance between a cohesive > body and a representative body and that a council with only 5 members is > getting too thin.
I think 7 is ok as well. Probably a good document on how things work, and what is expected from council members would get new members started quickly without too much problems as well. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level