From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-02-25
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:35:11
1 On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:38:41 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2014-02-20, o godz. 21:47:46
5 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > On 01:14 Fri 21 Feb , Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
8 > > > Andreas K. Huettel schrieb:
9 > > >
10 > > > > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not
11 > > > > hesitate to repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you
12 > > > > previously suggested one (since the last meeting).
13 > > > >
14 > > > > We will send out the agenda one week before the meeting date,
15 > > > > i.e. 2014-02-18.
16 > > >
17 > > > If that is still possible, I would like to add one more item
18 > > > related to the gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flags to the agenda. Namely,
19 > > > whether Council gives QA the powers to enact such a rule.
20 > > >
21 > > > In my opinion, it is not necessary for QA to have such powers (and
22 > > > therefore better if they don't have it). QA can already act per
23 > > > GLEP 48 if there is an immediate serious problem for users. And
24 > > > when there is not an immediate serious problem, any such rule can
25 > > > be proposed by QA to council for decision, especially if the
26 > > > topic is as controversial as the gtk USE flag issue.
27 > >
28 > > Funny how every time a controversial decision gets made, somebody
29 > > inevitably tries to undermine the authority of the group making the
30 > > decision.
31 >
32 > Well, I think one issue here is that QA undermined the authority of
33 > GTK+ maintainer here,
34
35 The USE flag is meant for tree wide usage, it is thus more of a question
36 of responsibility. If other maintainers as well as users have an
37 inconsistent and therefore confusing usage of the USE flag, then the
38 GTK+ maintainer can under that authority be expected to address that; as
39 to stop several reincarnations, a tracking bug they're not CC-ed on,
40 the QA team as well as Council getting pinged about this, ...
41
42 Note that I do not mean to blame them in specific, as there appears no
43 document stating who owns USE flags, and that owner can very well be
44 Gentoo itself; the above paragraph just assumes the authority over the
45 USE flag as you have put it forward, but it could just as well be seen
46 as that such authority by the GTK+ maintainers is non-existing.
47
48 If the meaning of the USE flags affects other maintainers more, as well
49 as our users; I'd think the authority should be with Gentoo as a whole.
50
51 Otherwise it is questionable as to why the community is discussing these
52 GTK+ USE flags in the first place. Does the community have an influence?
53
54 > and applied another policy behind their backs.
55
56 QA meetings are public and can be attended by those interested;
57 the policy idea was brought to this gentoo-dev ML by wired, thus
58 everyone has the opportunity to give feedback on the policy forming.
59
60 > So we have two conflicting policies now, one from people who maintain
61 > GTK+ and a lot of packages using it, and the other from a team of
62 > people who just had a meeting and decided otherwise.
63
64 GLEP 48 resolves this conflict.
65
66 > > In my understanding, the issue you want to address is whether the
67 > > QA team has authority over tree policy.
68 >
69 > Even more general, whether QA is supposed to ignore people
70
71 We've read a lot about it.
72
73 > and just tell them what to do instead of trying to reach an agreement
74 > over having a single policy.
75
76 After several years, an agreement with all parties involved has shown
77 to be unreachable. The time has come to decide as a distribution in
78 the upcoming council meeting; with the users, consistent usage,
79 acceptable maintenance, migration history and future goals in mind.
82 With kind regards,
83
84 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
85 Gentoo Developer
86
87 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
88 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
89 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D