From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] OT - Tinderbox question
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:07:49
1 On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 May 2014 09:51:54 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I suspect the intent of their vote was that QA members could take
6 >> action individually in the name of QA. [...]
7 >
8 > You can read the meeting agenda ...
9 >
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Meeting_Agenda
11 >
12 > ..., which shows the intent of the vote; it originates from ...
13 >
14 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3509
15 >
16 > ..., which was brought up by Samuli.
19 I understand that. My point is just that when members of QA want to
20 speak for QA, they should say so.
21
22 If tomwij modifies an ebuild I maintain with the commit comment
23 "update to newer EAPI" then I'm free to revert it if I consider the
24 change inappropriate (though obviously all devs should use discretion
25 when reverting anything). If tomwij modifies an ebuild I maintain
26 with the commit comment "QA Change: update to newer EAPI" then I'm not
27 free to revert the change without working with him, QA, or the
28 Council, whether I think my previous ebuild violated policy or not.
29
30 Likewise, if tomwij comments on a bug, "I don't think a tinderbox is
31 worth QA's time" then it should be taken as personal opinion. If he
32 comments, "QA has reviewed this request and feels it is not worth
33 pursing at this time" then that should be taken as the voice of QA
34 until demonstrated otherwise.
35
36 I occasionally post in bugs on behalf of the Council, and less
37 recently the Trustees. When I do so I'm careful to state that my
38 comment is on their behalf, and as a result people take the
39 Council/Trustees seriously. QA is intended to be operating closer to
40 the day-to-day fray and thus it can't be quite as deliberate in its
41 actions, but it is still helpful when QA members make it clear when
42 they're wearing their QA hats.
43
44 Rich