From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:14:46
1 On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:43:29 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
5 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > We don't teach existing developers the new EAPIs, so why would we
8 > teach new developers the old EAPIs?
9
10 Markos reviewed my knowledge of the old EAPIs and expected I knew them.
11
12 > That's what documentation is for - the purpose of recruiting isn't to
13 > teach documentation regurgitation. The main purpose of recruiting is
14 > to screen out people who lack maturity/care/etc.
15
16 Everybody has to start somewhere. I wasn't careful lately which has
17 resulted in my first last rite and learning better about proper package
18 testing; ironically, the problem here is mostly a lack of documentation.
19
20 > A developer with commit access that doesn't understand EAPI2 doesn't
21 > concern me much.
22
23 It gets fun when he starts changing the ebuild, as a result he wouldn't
24 understand how to 1) adjust it in EAPI2 or 2) port it to EAPI5.
25
26 > A developer with commit access that understands all
27 > the EAPIs perfectly and loves to do tree-wide scripted commits without
28 > notice or formal testing every other Tuesday concerns me a great deal,
29 > even if they haven't broken anything yet.
30
31 Yeah, there appears to be no documentation and rules for that in place;
32 this happened a few times lately, nothing bad seems to have happened.
33 These are long time developers, which makes me more concerned...
34
35 > The problem isn't ignorance, but innocence. We're all ignorant at
36 > some level, but some at least understand this and act accordingly.
37
38 It's rather about the right amount of communication and the right
39 amount of silence, I wouldn't call either side good.
42 With kind regards,
43
44 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
45 Gentoo Developer
46
47 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
48 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
49 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D