From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:43:33
1 On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 > 2) Recruitment.
3 > "Here, sonny, let me show you our list of EAPI versions. Make sure you
4 > memorize these by heart and dont confuse them. We try to improve them every
5 > now and then, but since people insist on using the old ones anyway, well, we
6 > have to keep them around. Have fun."
7 > That problem, of course, could also be solved (and will eventually be solved
8 > that way if needed) by telling new recruits "Unless you want to contribute to
9 > obscure stuff like toolchain, you don't have to care about the deprecated
10 > EAPIs. 4 and up is fine." Bus factor anyone?
11
12 We don't teach existing developers the new EAPIs, so why would we
13 teach new developers the old EAPIs?
14
15 That's what documentation is for - the purpose of recruiting isn't to
16 teach documentation regurgitation. The main purpose of recruiting is
17 to screen out people who lack maturity/care/etc.
18
19 A developer with commit access that doesn't understand EAPI2 doesn't
20 concern me much. A developer with commit access that understands all
21 the EAPIs perfectly and loves to do tree-wide scripted commits without
22 notice or formal testing every other Tuesday concerns me a great deal,
23 even if they haven't broken anything yet.
24
25 The problem isn't ignorance, but innocence. We're all ignorant at
26 some level, but some at least understand this and act accordingly.
27
28 Rich