From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:36:59
1 Am Sonntag, 7. April 2013, 14:24:32 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
3 wrote:
4 >
5 > Personally I'd rather see the toolchain be EAPI0 than maintainer-needed.
6
7 Oh I certainly agree with you there.
10 > Is the toolchain being EAPI0 actually hurting anything? If it is,
11 > then that should be motivation for those being hurt to step up and
12 > help fix the parts that are hurting them.
13
14 There are a few points (but they have all already been presented to death
15 here). Most important are in my personal opinion the longer-term implications.
16
17 1) The bitrot corner.
18 We're already discouraging the use of old EAPIs for new ebuilds. This
19 requirement will likely become more stringent at some point. Totally
20 independent of that, however, because of nice new features, the number of
21 newer EAPI ebuilds is growing a lot. At some point, EAPI=0 will become the
22 least-tested codepath in the package managers.
23
24 2) Recruitment.
25 "Here, sonny, let me show you our list of EAPI versions. Make sure you
26 memorize these by heart and dont confuse them. We try to improve them every
27 now and then, but since people insist on using the old ones anyway, well, we
28 have to keep them around. Have fun."
29 That problem, of course, could also be solved (and will eventually be solved
30 that way if needed) by telling new recruits "Unless you want to contribute to
31 obscure stuff like toolchain, you don't have to care about the deprecated
32 EAPIs. 4 and up is fine." Bus factor anyone?
33
34 Finally, let me remark that the new EAPIs did not drop from a tree during a
35 thunderstorm. Ideas were introduced for a reason, they were discussed here,
36 the features were selected, and eventually the whole package was decided by
37 the council.
38
39 A large-scale project like Gentoo lives from the cooperation of everyone
40 involved. This is why I tend to react harsh to declarations by fiat like
41 "Toolchain packages are EAPI 0 and we aren't changing.". Especially if they
42 involve a team at the core of the whole distribution.
46 Andreas K. Huettel
47 Gentoo Linux developer
48 dilfridge@g.o
49 http://www.akhuettel.de/