From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:16:44
1 On 03/29/2014 09:49 AM, hasufell wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > Anthony G. Basile:
6 >> On 03/29/2014 09:26 AM, hasufell wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> Anthony G. Basile:
10 >>>> On 03/27/2014 09:40 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
11 >>>>> Hi everyone,
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> The council will be meeing on April 8, 2014 at 1900 UTC.
14 >>>>> Please bring forward any agenda items you would like
15 >>>>> discussed.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> --Tony
18 >>>>>
19 >>>> Okay I'd like to add an agenda item. A policy inspired by bug
20 >>>> #506034.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Motion: "Significant changes to virtuals are to be discussed
23 >>>> (via mailing list or bugzilla) with all the maintainers and/or
24 >>>> herds which maintain packages those virtuals depend on."
25 >>>>
26 >>>> Discussion: "Like eclasses, changes to virtuals can affect all
27 >>>> the packages which depend on them. Changing existing
28 >>>> virtuals, removing virtuals or adding new ones affect the
29 >>>> packages they depend on. When such a change is proposed, all
30 >>>> maintainers affected need to be included in the discussion."
31 >>>>
32 >>> Sounds like any other reverse-dep. If people don't discuss
33 >>> non-trivial changes (to whatever part of gentoo), then that needs
34 >>> to be fixed, not policies introduced for every single situation
35 >>> that arises.
36 >>
37 >> True, I did think of that, but we do have a policy for eclasses.
38 >> With deeper uses of virtuals, it does not hurt to make the
39 >> reverse-dep issue explicit.
42 > IMO, eclasses are special since they are not really versioned.
43 > Virtuals are regular packages, versioned and with stable and unstable
44 > keywords.
45
46 And yet we do have many such policies beyond eclasses. For example, in
47 profiles/base/make.conf we have:
48
49 # Env vars to expand into USE vars. Modifying this requires prior
50 # discussion on gentoo-dev@g.o.
51 USE_EXPAND=
52
53 There is precedence withing Gentoo for asking that far reaching design
54 changes (eg USE_EXPAND) be discussed on the list.
57 > Unless you really want to apply this policy on _all_ reverse deps.
58
59 It is difficult to enumerate _all_. I believe Tom and I have identified
60 two more areas were we should encourage list wide discussion when the
61 consequences by affect others: virtuals and profiles.
64 > And if people don't follow it, then what? There have been a hundred
65 > situations (including eclasses) that were sufficient to say "stop" to
66 > some people who regularly do undiscussed, non-trivial changes. Until
67 > now, not much has happened about it. I doubt that this policy will
68 > change any of that.
69
70 If nothing else it raises awareness that we are a community where our
71 changes affect one another. The "enforcement" I would hope for is the
72 respect that we show one another.
75 > [sarcasm]
76 > But it gives us an impression of progress, at least... and policies
77 > seem to be a trend lately.
78 > [/sarcasm]
82 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
83 Chair of Information Technology