From: yac <yac@g.o>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Thoughts on PIL and Pillow
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:20:08
1 On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:58:40 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:45:22 -0400
5 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > The question I have: Is it better to have Pillow as a separate
8 > > package and set up a virtual, or should Pillow just be added as a
9 > > version bump of dev-python/imaging?
10 > >
11 > > The portage tree currently has both dev-python/imaging-2.0.0
12 > > (hard-masked), and dev-python/pillow-2.0.0. My intent was to
13 > > eliminate dev-python/pillow with a pkg move, but upon further
14 > > consideration I would like to gather some more opinions on the
15 > > matter.
16 >
17 > Moving forks onto original packages sounds much like Arfrever was
18 > doing in the past. That's why we have dev-python/setuptools which is
19 > not setuptools, doesn't it?
20 >
21 > Merging two unmerged projects into a single ebuild is a mess. Just
22 > keep them separate, make a virtual for it. When packages work with
23 > pillow, switch them to the virtual.
24
25 +1