From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Thoughts on PIL and Pillow
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:58:10
1 On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:45:22 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The question I have: Is it better to have Pillow as a separate package
5 > and set up a virtual, or should Pillow just be added as a version bump
6 > of dev-python/imaging?
7 >
8 > The portage tree currently has both dev-python/imaging-2.0.0
9 > (hard-masked), and dev-python/pillow-2.0.0. My intent was to eliminate
10 > dev-python/pillow with a pkg move, but upon further consideration I
11 > would like to gather some more opinions on the matter.
12
13 Moving forks onto original packages sounds much like Arfrever was doing
14 in the past. That's why we have dev-python/setuptools which is not
15 setuptools, doesn't it?
16
17 Merging two unmerged projects into a single ebuild is a mess. Just keep
18 them separate, make a virtual for it. When packages work with pillow,
19 switch them to the virtual.
20
21 And if we decide to drop dev-python/imaging in the future, we'll just
22 change virtual deps to pillow.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny