From: Sjujskij Nikolaj <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o, "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] On Python 2.5
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:44:57
1 Den 2012-02-20 09:04:45 skrev Johan Bergström <bugs@××××××××××.nu>:
2
3 > Good day all,
4 > with Python 2.4 being removed and all (anyone seen complaints about
5 > this, btw?),
6 > I'd like to discuss the removal of Python 2.5.
7 >
8 > Although 2.5 was one of those versions that started to be useful, I
9 > really see no
10 > reason to just keep it around "just because".
11 >
12 > Did a quick glance in the tree and couldn't find a package that only
13 > depended
14 > on python:2.5 specifically. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
15 >
16 > The question is therefore: why keep python 2.5 in tree?
17
18 There're quite a few people developing for Python 2.5 (for other target
19 platforms) using Gentoo. Just as I know one guy who programs for RedHat
20 (with Python 2.4) using Gentoo ~amd64.
21 Though I'm not developer, I hold that there's no call to remove old Python
22 versions from tree: declare them unsupported, or mask, but don't remove
23 until it's too burdensome.