From: Sjujskij Nikolaj <sterkrig@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-python@l.g.o, "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] On Python 2.5
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:44:57
Den 2012-02-20 09:04:45 skrev Johan Bergström <bugs@××××××××××.nu>:

> Good day all, > with Python 2.4 being removed and all (anyone seen complaints about > this, btw?), > I'd like to discuss the removal of Python 2.5. > > Although 2.5 was one of those versions that started to be useful, I > really see no > reason to just keep it around "just because". > > Did a quick glance in the tree and couldn't find a package that only > depended > on python:2.5 specifically. Please correct me if I'm wrong. > > The question is therefore: why keep python 2.5 in tree?
There're quite a few people developing for Python 2.5 (for other target platforms) using Gentoo. Just as I know one guy who programs for RedHat (with Python 2.4) using Gentoo ~amd64. Though I'm not developer, I hold that there's no call to remove old Python versions from tree: declare them unsupported, or mask, but don't remove until it's too burdensome.