From: "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
To: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-python@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] Timeframe for supporting Python versions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:07:15
Hey,

On Tuesday, 1 May 2012 at 7:01 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:

> On 30.04.2012 22:13, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote: > > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:17, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o (mailto:xarthisius@g.o)> wrote: > > > 1) how long are we supposed to keep old version of Python in Portage? > > > 2) how many version should we actively maintained? > > > > > > > > I'm not sure we need hard rules here. IMO the current approach (i.e. > > just talking about it and dropping as we decide it makes sense) is > > just fine. In particular, some version bumps are just harder than > > others, and adoption of new versions is always different (i.e. for 3.x > > and 2.x versions is obviously a very different story right now). From > > the other side (for example, in Mercurial depends), it also depends > > how big of a boon new features are. > > > > So let's just decide on a case-by-case when we deprecate a version? As > > for 2.5, are we seeing increased incompatibility yet? Any recent > > examples? I think 2.5 is close to deprecation, but I'm personally not > > getting the impression it's getting to be a big PITA just yet. > > > > 10% of packages that restrict Python abi in any way, restrict 2.5 (I've > grepped for "\(2.\[45\]\|2.5\)") That's the only statistics I could > think of. > > I'm not aware of any security bugs related to 2.5 branch
I raised the same question a couple of months ago, just to get a discussion going on what we consider "deprecated". Python 2.5 is one of those versions that actually work pretty well, so it will probably be here for a long time. A perhaps better way of looking at this is how many packages that depend explicitly on 2.5 to work and understand why upstream stays there. For me as a fellow package bumper, I'd say that 2.5 is still good to go.
> > Cheers, > Kacper
Thanks, Johan