From: Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@g.o>
To: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
Cc: Nikolaj Sjujskij <sterkrig@×××××××.com>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-python] python-distutils.eclass vs. python.eclass + distutils.eclass
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 18:45:22
2012/5/26 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>:
> On 26/05/12 15:09, Nikolaj Sjujskij wrote: >> Den 2012-05-26 17:07:29 skrev Micha³ Górny <mgorny@g.o>: >> >>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 17:01:26 +0400 >>> "Nikolaj Sjujskij" <sterkrig@×××××××.com> wrote: >>> >>>> > So I think the second part of this (x.y to x.y+1 transitions, in the >>>> > Python world, are generally relatively smooth) invalidates your >>>> > point in the first part: if the transitions are generally smooth, >>>> > then yes, when Python 3.3 gets stabilized, I want all of my Python >>>> > packages to be available from the 3.3 interpreter. >>>>   Let's take a "stable" user who updates (`emerge --update --deep >>>> --newuse @world`) his/her system regularly. >>>> Python 3.3 is released, added to Portage tree and eventually unmasked. >>>> PYTHON_TARGETS variable is changed to include 3.3. And suddenly >>>> `emerge --newuse @world` on stable system suggests rebuilding of >>>> every package using new eclass, because new (though disabled) >>>> USE-flags was added. And when Python 3.3 is keyworded stable, hence >>>> bringing new default PYTHON_TARGETS, user should now rebuild those >>>> packages once more, but now, at least, not uselessly. >>>> >>>> Just yesterday I had www-servers/uwsgi recompiled because of changed >>>> RUBY_TARGETS. And I even have no Ruby installed. >>> >>> I suggest you report a bug against portage and/or PMS. >>  Excuse me, but I really fail to see how this could be their fault. > > Yes, you do. Let me explain: there was a thread some time ago about portage > rebuilding package when new USE flag is introduced in ebuild that does not > change enabled USE set, that's how it's related.
This was my first thought too: if just appeared flag is not set, there is no sense to rebuild. But there is one possible case when this assumption is false. Image that foo has support for bar and this support was on by default and had no useflag. Suddenly package maintainer decides, no matter why, make it optional and off by default. He adds useflag to IUSE and it's not set by default. Then not rebuilding it is *wrong* behavior. Yes i know that this example is rather abstract and very unlikely to happen, but we must consider all cases.