From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <kurt@××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, livewire@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 02:29:41
1 On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 20:14, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:17:24AM -0400 or thereabouts, John Davis wrote:
3 > > Kurt -
4 > > I've been thinking this over for quite awhile now and have vacilated
5 > > between continuing quarterly releases and moving to something else.
6 > > After much thought (and believe me, there has been a lot - during 2004.0
7 > > I wanted nothing to do with quarterly releases), I have decided that for
8 > > the immediate future, quarterly releases are the way to go for the
9 > > following reasons:
10 >
11 > I don't agree. We should put this on the next manager's meeting as an
12 > agenda item. As it stands, I'm not willing to support quarterly releases
13 > from an infra standpoint. If the rest of the management team decides we
14 > should, then I will do my best. As it stands, I think this is a huge waste
15 > of time, resources and development effort.
16 >
17 > As a general rule, I think basing releases on time, rather than features,
18 > is a poor way of defining release goals. I think gathering feature
19 > requests (as you have been doing so far) is a great idea. I think we
20 > should then (as a management team) decide what features need to make it
21 > into the next release of Gentoo, decide how much time that will take to
22 > implement and then set a target release date based on that. We should
23 > release based on features, not on time.
24 >
25 > --kurt
26
27 Kurt -
28 I respect your opinion, but I do believe that you are rushing into a
29 decision that has no factual basis. Quarterly releases have not even
30 been going for a year and because of this there is not substantial
31 evidence against them. The fact is that quarterly releases benefit the
32 user as they are kept up to date every quarter.
33
34 Gentoo cannot go back to the old style (pre-2004.0) style of releases.
35 The nature of our distribution does not allow us to do this. I guarantee
36 you that if we do go back to the old style releases that we will be in
37 the same boat as we were with 1.4 - feature creep and constantly late
38 deadlines. Not only does this make Gentoo look bad as a distribution,
39 but it leaves our users out in the cold as GRP, a feature that users
40 very much enjoy, becomes useless due to its age.
41
42 The goal of quarterly releases is *not* meeting a deadline, but rather
43 providing our users with up-to-date release media for their convienence.
44 I do not understand why you are rushing into your decision that
45 "quarterly releases [cannot be supported] from an infra standpoint" -
46 2004.1 went great from the infra side. There were no problems, and
47 2004.2 is going to be even better now that we know exactly what to do
48 with the bit flip method. Even without you there to look over things,
49 the release went out without a hitch.
50
51 Bring it up with the rest of the managers if you want to Kurt, but I
52 assure you that it is the wrong decision to do so. Quarterly releases
53 work for us devs, for the users, and for Gentoo. If you really are set
54 on doing releases 1.4 style where features like GPG signing hold the
55 release back forever, fine, but you are not doing what is right for our
56 users.
57
58 Please think about what I said earlier about the dual feature lists -
59 one for releng release specific features, and one for broader gentoo
60 specific features. Things like UTF8 integration and GPG signing have are
61 not something that releng can directly control, therefore, the
62 responsibility should not weigh on releng's shoulders to complete them,
63 but rather their own respective sub-projects.
64
65 Regards,
66 //John