From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 02:53:16
1 On Wed, 05 May 2004 02:29:35 -0400
2 John Davis <zhen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I respect your opinion, but I do believe that you are rushing into a
5 > decision that has no factual basis. Quarterly releases have not even
6 > been going for a year and because of this there is not substantial
7 > evidence against them. The fact is that quarterly releases benefit the
8 > user as they are kept up to date every quarter.
9
10 If this isn't the point Kurt was trying to make, then consider it mine. :)
11
12 Historically, (not necessarily Gentoo) projects that have had a time based
13 deadline over a "when it's done" type deadline end up suffering in
14 features and overall quality to meet those deadlines.
15
16 2004.0 and 2004.1 do show signs of this. If we are to continue to do time
17 based releases, it is imperative that *all* of the needed adjustments to
18 the tools and ebuilds be made *before* we even begin into the release
19 cycle (minus the obvious security update exceptions). Having these things
20 change while builds happen is not good for QA and for meeting deadlines.
23 Jason Wever
24 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead