From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbook changes for x86 (and amd64)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:21:32
1 On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 05:58:06PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > The following changes are from my quick glance of doing a network-less
3 > stage3 install using the current 2004.3 builds. Since amd64 has nearly
4 > mirrored x86 on this release, these apply for them, too. There may be
5 > other amd64 changes, but these are the common ones.
6
7 Okay, a new snapshot is uploaded to
8 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/releng/handbook-x86.tar.gz
9 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/releng/handbook-amd64.tar.gz
10
11 You might want to ping plasmaroo to create a PDF of your architecture; the
12 sources are in the draft/ directory ([doc]/en/handbook/draft).
13
14 I've also quickly updated the handbook for sparc and ppc; snapshots can be
15 found at
16 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/releng/handbook-sparc.tar.gz
17 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/releng/handbook-ppc.tar.gz
18
19 Might I say I'm a bit disappointed that this is again a last-second work for
20 the documentation team to do all this?
21
22 The release guidelines state that, during the development phase:
23
24 """
25 The Arch Release Coordinator should be in contact with the releng
26 documentation liaison at all times to ensure that the documentation released
27 is in sync with the release itself.
28 """
29 and
30 """
31 The GDP requires a listing of all bootable kernels on each bootable LiveCD,
32 a listing of all supported boot options on each bootable LiveCD, the output
33 of find on a mounted CD from each category (both bootable LiveCDs and a
34 Packages CD), and the output of find on a booted universal/ minimal LiveCD.
35 The information can be sent to the releng GDP liaison, who is listed on the
36 releng Project Page.
37 """
38
39 It takes the GDP a lot longer than a few hours to double-check that
40 everything works. The snapshots mentioned above are based on Chris'
41 feedback, currently the only feedback we've received (sorry, that's not
42 true, PPC said there weren't any changes needed).
43
44 I truely hope that our next release (2005.0) will follow the guidelines
45 regarding documentation.
46
47 Wkr,
48 Sven Vermeulen