From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Handbook changes for x86 (and amd64)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:00:43
1 The following changes are from my quick glance of doing a network-less
2 stage3 install using the current 2004.3 builds. Since amd64 has nearly
3 mirrored x86 on this release, these apply for them, too. There may be
4 other amd64 changes, but these are the common ones.
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2:
9
10 s/You should see a fancy boot screen with the Gentoo Linux logo on
11 it./You should see a boot: prompt./
12
13 s/Specifying a kernel? Yes, we provide several kernels on our LiveCDs.
14 The default one is gentoo. Other kernels are smp, which activates
15 support for multi-cpu systems and the -nofb variants which disable
16 framebuffer./Specifying a kernel? Yes, we provide several kernels on
17 most of our LiveCDs. The default one is gentoo. Other kernels are for
18 specific hardware needs and the -nofb variants which disable
19 framebuffer./
20
21 s/It is recommended that you select the gentoo or gentoo-nofb kernels if
22 you want to install Gentoo Linux with a 2.4 kernel or smp or smp-nofb if
23 you want to install Gentoo Linux with a 2.6 kernel. Otherwise you might
24 run into compatibility issues.//
25
26 s/gentoo Default 2.4 kernel with framebuffer support/gentoo 2.6
27 Kernel with support for multiple CPUs/
28
29 s/smp 2.6 Kernel with support for multiple CPUs//
30
31 s/smp-nofb Same as smp but without framebuffer support//
35 This next part is the "Code Listing 3" table. I'm just going to paste
36 the new one here since it'll be easier than listing the changes.
37
38 - agpgart loads agpgart (use if you have graphic problems,lockups)
39 - acpi=on loads support for ACPI firmware
40 - ide=nodma force disabling of DMA for malfunctioning IDE devices
41 - doscsi scan for scsi devices (breaks some ethernet cards)
42 - dopcmcia starts pcmcia service for PCMCIA cdroms
43 - nofirewire disables firewire modules in initrd (for firewire
44 cdroms,etc)
45 - nokeymap disables keymap selection for non-us keyboard layouts
46 - docache cache the entire runtime portion of cd in RAM, allows
47 you
48 to umount /mnt/cdrom to mount another cdrom.
49 - nodetect causes hwsetup/kudzu and hotplug not to run
50 - nousb disables usb module load from initrd, disables hotplug
51 - nodhcp dhcp does not automatically start if nic detected
52 - nohotplug disables loading hotplug service
53 - noapic disable apic (try if having hardware problems
54 nics,scsi,etc)
55 - hdx=stroke allows you to partition the whole harddrive even when your
56 BIOS
57 can't handle large harddrives
61 s/You will then be greeted with another boot screen and progress
62 bar./You will then be greeted with a boot screen and progress bar. If
63 you are installing Gentoo on a system with a non-US keyboard, make sure
64 you press F2 to switch to verbose mode and follow the prompt. If no
65 selection is made in 10 second, the default will be accepted and the
66 boot process will continue./
67
68 s/If you are installing Gentoo on a system with a non-US keyboard, make
69 sure you boot the LiveCD with the dokeymap boot option.//
72 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=3
73
74 I'm not really sure what to say here. I have added wireless
75 configuration for any iwconfig-compatible wireless device to net-setup.
76 When running net-setup, it now asks if the network is wired or wireless,
77 then asks for the SSID and WEP (if required) if it is wireless. It then
78 continues with the old net-setup functionality by asking if the network
79 uses DHCP or not. This is preliminary, so I would consider marking it
80 as the new "automatic" way and leaving the documentation for the old
81 "manual" way.
85 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5
86
87 s/portage-20040710.tar.bz2/portage-20041022.tar.bz2/
88
89 A note should be added to 5.e about leaving USE alone if planning on
90 doing a stage3 + GRP install. Make this note red... and bold... and
91 flashing... and make it so when people look at it a very large klaxon
92 sounds... *grin*
96 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6
97
98 s/(of course in case you have a working network connection)/(of course
99 this requires you have a working network connection)/
100
101 There also needs to be the same big fat warning in 6.a in the USE
102 section about how changing the USE flags when using a stage3 + GRP will
103 be cause the releng demons to come and eat your babies.
107 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7
108
109 s/ati-drivers-extra Graphical ATI tools emerge ati-drivers-extra//
110
111 We're removing this since it isn't provided by distfiles.
115 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9
116
117 s/Warning: The stage3 tarballs of the 2004.2 release erroneously contain
118 the sysklogd logger. You will need to unmerge this logger before
119 emerging a new one.//
120
121 s/(First unmerge the sysklogd logger if you use a stage3 tarball)//
122
123 s/# emerge unmerge sysklogd//
124
125 s/(You will also need to remove the sysklogd init script)//
126
127 s/# rm /etc/init.d/sysklogd//
128
129 s/(Now install the system logger of your choice)//
130
131 I think something should be added to the 9.a section to state that if a
132 user selects sysklogd or syslog-ng that they should install logrotate,
133 too. We do it for the cron daemons with running crontab /etc/crontab,
134 so why not the loggers?
135
136 s/Note: If you are not installing Gentoo using cascading profiles
137 slocate will already be part of your system. Cascading profiles are not
138 used by default yet so if you don't understand it you can assume that
139 you're not using cascading profiles.//
140
141 s/Note: If you are not installing Gentoo using cascading profiles dhcpcd
142 will already be part of your system. Cascading profiles are not used by
143 default yet so if you don't understand it you can assume that you're not
144 using cascading profiles.//
148 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
149
150 s/you have to add a vga- or video-statement to your bootloader
151 configuration file if you require framebuffer. The former is for 2.4
152 kernels while you should use the latter for 2.6 kernels./you have to add
153 a vga-statement to your bootloader configuration file if you wish to use
154 framebuffer./
155
156 s/For the video-statement, a simplified syntax is used. Most of the time
157 it's sufficient to use video=vesafb./If you are using a 2.6 kernel and
158 chose to use vesafb-tng, then you will use a video-statement instead.
159 The video statement is defined by WxH-D@Hz, or 1024x768-16@60./
160
161 Perhaps another table could be added for this, I'm not sure. That's
162 totally up to you guys. It should be noted that the vesafb-tng stuff is
163 only in the gentoo-dev-sources kernel and only in kernel >=2.6.8 at
164 that.
167 Chris Gianelloni
168 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
169 Games - Developer
170 Gentoo Linux
173 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list