From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 netboot, because beejay sucks
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:49:33
1 Guy Martin wrote:
2
3 > I'm working on this atm.
4 >
5 > My catalyst patch starts from a stage3, compile all the stuff you
6 > specified in the spec file, copy the file you specified for each pkg in
7 > the chroot, handle required libs and co. It also compiles busybox and
8 > let you specify your config file for it.
9 > I still have to write support for the kernel compilation and the final
10 > netboot image generation.
11 >
12 > Btw, I need info about generating such image for x86. I know how to do
13 > it for hppa but nfi for x86. :)
14
15 Can one possibility for this be to just generate the loopback-mountable
16 ramdisk as the final catalyst product along with a tar.bz2 of the same data
17 (i.e., skip kernel compiliation)? In the case of mips netboots, systems whose
18 kernels can be built w/ ramdisks will use the loopback image, while the others
19 will use the tar.bz2 for nfsroot.
20
21 Also, will this be able to use uclibc by chance?
24 --Kumba
27 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
28 hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
29 --Elrond
32 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list