From: Guy Martin <gmsoft@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 netboot, because beejay sucks
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:22:48
1 On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:00:30 +0200
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:53:16PM +0200, Guy Martin wrote:
5 > > I'd like to see such thing integrated into catalyst. Actualy Weeve
6 > > wrote a bash script to build netboot images for sparc but it's not
7 > > very flexible :-/
8 > > Maybe I could help with this. I'd really like to publish netboot
9 > > images for hppa.
10 >
11 > I'd like to see something like this integrated in Catalyst as well.
12 > Netbooting is heavily used on most of the organisations I administer
13 > systems for as it provides great flexibility.
16 I'm working on this atm.
17
18 My catalyst patch starts from a stage3, compile all the stuff you
19 specified in the spec file, copy the file you specified for each pkg in
20 the chroot, handle required libs and co. It also compiles busybox and
21 let you specify your config file for it.
22 I still have to write support for the kernel compilation and the final
23 netboot image generation.
24
25 Btw, I need info about generating such image for x86. I know how to do
26 it for hppa but nfi for x86. :)
30 > It might also be very interesting for JumpStart-like possibilities (as
31 > a start).
32 >
33 > Wkr,
34 > Sven Vermeulen
35 >
36 > --
37 > ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.
38 > (oo) Sven Vermeulen
39 > (__) http://www.gentoo.org Documentation & PR
44 Guy Martin
45 Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team
46 Lug Charleroi (Belgium)