From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, zhen@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:22:44
1 > There are a number of managers and developers who are
2 > concerned with the viability/purpose and value of GRP. At
3 > some point, we will need to re-visit this and decide if it's
4 > in the best interests of Gentoo to continue supporting, let
5 > alone expanding.
6
7 Urg, comments like this make me regret that I resigned from the project,
8 because just killing off GRP would be pretty harmful to the Gentoo user
9 base. But I guess that one of the risks of setting up a NFP is that the
10 trustees can shoot themselves in their collective feet if they want. Maybe I
11 should be glad my feet aren't included :)
12
13 If some developers and managers don't see any purpose in GRP, make sure they
14 have an answer for the thousands of users that they are supposed to be
15 serving and who depend on it for a fast install.
16
17 Eliminating GRP entirely without some larger vision for fast, pain-free
18 installs is a pretty bad idea. This is particularly important for end-users
19 who don't have 10 boxes at work to build things on. I would frankly ignore
20 anyone who doesn't like GRP and has no good proposed alternative for the
21 many users who use our GRP sets.
22
23 If they don't like GRP and have a _better_ idea for fast installs, that's
24 another thing entirely. Then they are trying to find a better way to address
25 user needs, rather than just selfishly ignoring them. You need to
26 differentiate between the two groups to figure out which ones are being lazy
27 and irresponsible and which are truly concerned for improving Gentoo's
28 offerings of quality install choices. So when you mention "there are a
29 number of managers and developers" that are anti-GRP, it's not as important
30 *what* they think but *why* they think it.
31
32 Regards,
33
34 Daniel