From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: davisjp@×××.edu
Cc: zhen@g.o, gentoo-releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Updates, reminders, etc
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:11:24
GenKernel in CVS
gentoo/src/genkernel_bradmssw
is in a usable state. It should work for about any arch
right now, though it needs the arch-specific configs
still. The only arch it has been extensively tested on
is 'amd64', though I have successfully compiled kernels
for x86, but not booted them.  Weeve also has an in-development
config for Sparc32 and Sparc64, we need PPC guys to start testing it.

Also, drobbins and myself are working on a new linuxrc for the
initrd in CVS
gentoo/src/initrd_linuxrc
which is much improved over the old linuxrc scripts as it
combines functionality for livecds, and normal booting,
so there isn't a specific script for each, which makes
genkernel easier to maintain and use.  Still needs testing
on loading modules automatically, and genkernel needs to be
adapted to create the proper dependancy lists for copying
modules to the initrd.

Also I have an internal genkernel version that utilizes less
space by making use of devfs and devfsd internally for dev nodes
which reduces overhead by about 650k in the filesystem for the
inodes it would have to create on a MAKEDEV generic-i386. I should
be able to commit this over the weekend.

Oh yeah, it should work for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, but has really
only been tested on 2.4.

Let me know if I can be of any help on the integration.

-Brad