From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] alpha and x86 docs ready, rest still pending
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:12:17
1 On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:10:03PM +0200, Lars Weiler wrote:
2 > I didn't answered as I created the ppc-docs myself from our
3 > current and updated handbook-draft.
4 >
5 > Thanks for your help, but your first message was already too
6 > late.
7
8 I'm quite disappointed that the Release Engineering Guidelines [1] aren't
9 followed. Quite a lot of developers apparently think that, once the
10 installation media are created, the release is done. This isn't true and to
11 make this more clear, the guidelines were created.
12
13 As the documentation "liason" I am of course talking about documentation.
14 There are a few steps mandatory in that process that seem to be forgotten
15 this release:
16
17 ** Is the installation documentation up-to-date?
18
19 The Arch Release Coordinator should be in contact with the releng
20 documentation liaison at all times to ensure that the documentation released
21 is in sync with the release itself.
22
23 ** Does the Gentoo Documentation Project (GDP) have all of the necessary
24 ** information required for the release documentation?
25
26 The GDP requires a listing of all bootable kernels on each bootable LiveCD,
27 a listing of all supported boot options on each bootable LiveCD, the output
28 of find on a mounted CD from each category (both bootable LiveCDs and a
29 Packages CD), and the output of find on a booted universal/ minimal LiveCD.
30 The information can be sent to the releng GDP liaison, who is listed on the
31 releng Project Page.
34 It is in my opinion also important that the Gentoo developers are aware that
35 a release is pending, at least 24h in advance. The Gentoo Documentation team
36 needs time to migrate the draft/2005.1 to the official location and prepare
37 to update the current Handbook (for Internet-based installations).
38
39 Where are we going at? This morning I woke up only to see massive confusion
40 on #gentoo-dev. No-one knew that 2005.1 was released (if it is), infra said
41 they weren't ready yet, the GDP wasn't informed, I found nothing on -core
42 except beejay's e-mail telling he left (can't blame him). Not even a message
43 to pr@g.o or gentoo-pr@g.o to discuss the Press Release.
44
45 Look, I'm not the lead PR anymore, but if someone thinks he can just add
46 documentation to the Gentoo Documentation Project without consulting the
47 GDP, I would give him a nice slap with a big catfish.
50 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/docs/release_guidelines.xml
53 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
54
55 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>