From: P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] Sage 5.2's Notebook does not accept some passwords
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:02:57
1 On 08/01/2012 12:29 AM, v_2e@×××.net wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 > I upgraded Sage to 5.2 today and I have noticed some strange
4 > behaviour with passwords.
5 > First of all, I noticed that new Sage Notebook did not accept my old
6 > password (which consisted of 3 letters). I started it with
7 > 'require_login=False" and reset the password for my regular user. After
8 > that I had an ability to login with the generated password and change
9 > it. However, after changing it to some 3-letters password I cannot
10 > login. I tried the passwords gradually "123456", "12345", "1234" and
11 > "123". All of them worked fine except for the last one. So, "1234"
12 > worked fine, but another 4-letter password did not.
13 > And what is the most strange is that any password is accepted by the
14 > Notebook server at the time of changing it, but not every password is
15 > accepted at login time.
16 >
17 > P.S. I read that Sage 5.2 includes the flask Notebook. Does it mean
18 > that in sage-on-gentoo overlay we have the flask Notebook as well?
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 > Vladimir
22 >
23 > -----
24 > <v_2e@×××.net>
27 This is a bit strange. What I do know is that a couple of months ago
28 (6-7 months ago?), the password length for admin was changed to at least
29 6 letters, to be consistent with the documentation. The documentation
30 has always stated that the password length must be at least 6 letters.
31
32 Now, I am not sure if it affects the users too. The type of password
33 probably shouldn't matter. If it does, then it is a serious problem.
34
35 Can you check and reproduce these problems in a new notebook directory?
36 This might help in narrowing down whether the problem is in sagenb or in
37 the old worksheet directory. To create a new notebook directory, you
38 need to run sage as follows:
39
40 sage -n directory=/tmp/new.sagenb
41
42 The directory /tmp/new.sagenb need not be present. It will be created by
43 sage. By the way, sage-5.2 works with flask notebook. It won't work
44 with the old notebook since there are changes to sage itself brought
45 about by the transition to flask notebook.