From: Jordan Dawe <jdawe@××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:36:02
Olivier Fisette wrote:

>On Thursday, 18 August 2005 05:52 am, George Shapovalov wrote: > > >>I used to put out calls for new/interested devs to help >>Scientific Gentoo, when I was more active, and the responce >>was rather positive. However recently I did not have enough >>time to devote to training of new devs, so that slipped by. I >>think it would be usefull to reinstate that initiative, but >>first we need to get a head-count of who feels like doing the >>training. Should we have a 1 year as a dev requirement for >>the trainers? (not the trainees of course! They are even >>better picked up from science than from Linux althogether :)) >>I would think so, given complexity of Gentoo nowadays and that >>last thing we want to do is to screw our comprehension by >>scientific community :). >> >> > >Unless I am mistaken, any Gentoo developer is free to open a "New >developer" bug for consideration by our recruiters team, as long >as he is willing to mentor the recruit. I see no reason for the >sci team to impose additional restrictions upon its members. I >think we can trust the judgement of the mentoring dev on this. > >I am ready to mentor a candidate. I have the necessary free time >right now and will have it for a few months. I have already >mentored someone once and found it a very rewarding experience. > >Since everybody agrees that we need more hands, I asked >recruiters to update the Staffing Needs on the gentoo.org Web >site to reflect this. > >
I'm interested in becoming a sci developer. I've been using gentoo to do computational oceanography for a couple of years now, and it would be nice to know how the whole system works. How do you sign up? How much time would it demand? The time might be a problem--I'm tyring to finish my PhD right now, but if there's too much to do, perhaps I could join up later...? Jordan Dawe -- gentoo-science@g.o mailing list