From: Jeremy Brake <gentoolists@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:28:38
Thanks for all the great input guys.
Theres a lot of reading to do before I can decide ona the most suitable
option for me, but I'll get through it all.

While i'm getting my head around everything to impliment a permanent
solution, what about this? (sorry, not great with iptables just yet..)
Leave sshd listening on port 22, but firewall off everything except my
trusted IP's (localhost, home, girlfriend, work subnet, internal subnet,
flatmates server) .
Add an IPTables rule to port forward $ambiguous_external_port through to
port 22 on localhost (or if its safer, the  10.x.x.x IP assigned to the
machine) , and log the instance.
My thinking is that this would make it harder for someone to find my
open ssh port, but leave me the convenience of not having to specify a
port when I connect from my regular connections, dozens of times a day.
Or is it just going to open up an IP spoofing exploit on port 22, and
achieve practically nothing?

Presumably this would eliminate the need for my original idea of
search-and-destroy on the brute force scripts, but I'll probably look at
implimenting something along those lines when I get my ftpd going (i'm
using SCP for everything now, but theres a need to change that. ) and
will still look at using the idea for my permanent SSH solution.

I like the sound of of SEC, the IPTables' "recent" option, and port
knocking. Because NZ IPs are assigned from the APNIC ranges, I'm not
sure how well the GEOIP patch would work, but i'll look into it.
(otherwise I would have blacklisted all of Asia already)
I'm going to read through all the rules and scripts posted, once i've
researched the available tools, and i'll go from there.

Cheers
Jeremy B

-- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list