From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice on Gentoo Servers
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:32:41
1 quoth the Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S):
2
3 > - Another alternative is Arch Linux, which also has binary packages, but
4 > also a portage-like build system. This IS linux, but uses BSD-init, and
5 > does not seem as mature as Gentoo or FreeBSD.
6 >
7 > /Daniel
8
9 I disagree that Arch is a good choice for a server. I do run an Arch box (not
10 production) but I think that pacman updates are way less stable than portage.
11 Seems everytime I go to do an update, once per month or so, they have changed
12 something drastically that needs manual intervention to facilitate the
13 upgrade.
14
15 The most recent was a change to udev that required you to either use Arch's
16 specially patched canned kernel or update to vanilla 2.6.16, neither of which
17 I really wanted to do. My arch box has way more downtime than any of my
18 Gentoo boxes, and I run Gentoo on three different platforms.
19
20 Just an opinion here, but I don't think Arch is a good choice for a server,
21 production or otherwise. Makes a real nice bleeding edge desktop though...
22
23 -d
26 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
27 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
28 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972