From: "Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S)" <daniel@×××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice on Gentoo Servers
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:52:54
1 darren kirby wrote:
2
3 >quoth the Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S):
7 >>- Another alternative is Arch Linux, which also has binary packages, but
8 >>also a portage-like build system. This IS linux, but uses BSD-init, and
9 >>does not seem as mature as Gentoo or FreeBSD.
10 >>
11 >>/Daniel
15 >I disagree that Arch is a good choice for a server. I do run an Arch box (not
16 >production) but I think that pacman updates are way less stable than portage.
17 >Seems everytime I go to do an update, once per month or so, they have changed
18 >something drastically that needs manual intervention to facilitate the
19 >upgrade.
22 Good with some clarification. Like I wrote, it does not seem very
23 mature, but it is interesting alternative that has some properties in
24 common with Gentoo. Judging from their package names and versions, they
25 will have to change a lot, before they can be stable in the ports og
26 portage sense.
27
28 >The most recent was a change to udev that required you to either use Arch's
29 >specially patched canned kernel or update to vanilla 2.6.16, neither of which
30 >I really wanted to do. My arch box has way more downtime than any of my
31 >Gentoo boxes, and I run Gentoo on three different platforms.
32 >
33 >Just an opinion here, but I don't think Arch is a good choice for a server,
34 >production or otherwise. Makes a real nice bleeding edge desktop though...
37 Thanks for the advice.
40 /Daniel

daniel.vcf text/x-vcard