From: Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Odd / fast DNS requests
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:46:49
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 > On my small server I am seeing a sudden inrush of requests to named like tihs.
3 > Of particular intrest is _domainkey. A quick google search didn't really
4 > explain why I am seeing so much of this, it's been going on almost
5 > continuously for 20 minutes.
6 >
7 > So, anyone recognize this stuff?
8 >
9 Well, this "stuff", as you call it, is just normal DNS queries - but
10 more of them than you usually get, as you noted.
11 One or two per second is nothing to worry about, and would not be
12 considered a DoS attack even if you were on a 56K link...
13
14 The _domainkey queries are experimental, or from people who already
15 implement SPF and Yahoo's scheme for it.
16 That was 10 seconds of Google, by the way ;-)
17
18 If you really want to know what is happening, you need to log DNS
19 requests and replies.
20 Then you can see what information is exchanged, and lookup where they
21 come from.
22
23 J
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list