From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] DomainKeys != SPF
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:05:42
1 Jeroen Geilman wrote:
2 > fire-eyes wrote:
3 >> On my small server I am seeing a sudden inrush of requests to named
4 >> like tihs. Of particular intrest is _domainkey. A quick google search
5 >> didn't really explain why I am seeing so much of this, it's been going
6 >> on almost continuously for 20 minutes.
7
8 > The _domainkey queries are experimental, or from people who already
9 > implement SPF and Yahoo's scheme for it.
10 > That was 10 seconds of Google, by the way ;-)
11
12 SPF (http://www.openspf.org/) and DomainKeys
13 (http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys) are not the same thing, although
14 they attempt to address similar problems (albeit in a slightly different
15 manner).
16
17 DomainKeys uses a TXT record named _domainkey , which holds a public
18 key. The domain's MTA signs outgoing mail with the corresponding private
19 key, and DomainKey-aware receiving MTAs look up the public key and
20 verify the signature.
21
22 SPF uses a record named after the domain itself, which is in a special
23 format and specifies which machines (by IP address or domain name) can
24 send email claiming to be from that domain. The record type can be
25 either TXT or SPF, but should be both more maximum compatibility.
26
27 In their current implementations, SPF protects the enveloper sender
28 information (which isn't seen by the end-user, unless s/he examines the
29 header), while DomainKeys protects the From: field.
30
31 Visit the above-mentioned URLs for more information.
32
33 Cheers
34
35 Andrew