From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Adding System Users for Ebuilds
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:37:18
1 Mike Kelly wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > This was posted earlier on -dev [1], but it was recommended that I ask
5 > this here as well:
6 >
7 > As part of my original plans for my GLEP27 implementation, I was
8 > going to have my scripts automatically add the users requested by a
9 > package (for example, the cron user), to all the passwd backends
10 > listsed in /etc/nsswitch.conf. However, in consultation with some
11 > folks, it seems that what may be more desirable is to just add
12 > users/groups to the local files/compat backends instead, and not make
13 > any changes to the remote databases.
14 Depends, personally I could see benefit from being able to choose where
15 to add users/groups.
16
17 So:
18 /etc/nsswitch.conf
19
20 passwd files ldap
21 ...
22
23 I might want to add system users to ldap to have them available
24 everywhere. This would require configurable skripts (per backend) for
25 adding accounts (work). Assuming people using distibuted account systems
26 know what they're doing, they probably prefer populating the system
27 upfront or keeping system accounts locally.
28
29 cheers
30 Paul
31 --