From: Mike Kelly <pioto@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Adding System Users for Ebuilds
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 04:29:49
1 Hello,
2
3 This was posted earlier on -dev [1], but it was recommended that I ask
4 this here as well:
5
6 As part of my original plans for my GLEP27 implementation, I was
7 going to have my scripts automatically add the users requested by a
8 package (for example, the cron user), to all the passwd backends
9 listsed in /etc/nsswitch.conf. However, in consultation with some
10 folks, it seems that what may be more desirable is to just add
11 users/groups to the local files/compat backends instead, and not make
12 any changes to the remote databases.
13
14 Does anyone have any strong notion of any cases where it would be
15 excessively bad for the package manager to try adding to, say, the
16 nss_nis backend in addition to the nss_files backend, or cases where
17 that would be a strongly desired behavior?
18
19 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39450/
22 Mike Kelly
23 "Happiness adds and multiplies as we divide it with others."