From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Adding System Users for Ebuilds
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:44:16
1 On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Mike Kelly wrote:
2
3 > As part of my original plans for my GLEP27 implementation, I was going to
4 > have my scripts automatically add the users requested by a package (for
5 > example, the cron user), to all the passwd backends listsed in
6 > /etc/nsswitch.conf. However, in consultation with some folks, it seems
7 > that what may be more desirable is to just add users/groups to the local
8 > files/compat backends instead, and not make any changes to the remote
9 > databases.
10 >
11 > Does anyone have any strong notion of any cases where it would be
12 > excessively bad for the package manager to try adding to, say, the
13 > nss_nis backend in addition to the nss_files backend, or cases where that
14 > would be a strongly desired behavior?
15 >
16 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39450/
17
18 In general, I only use central authentication/naming systems for real
19 users, not local system users. My central authentication/naming is shared
20 across a number of different operating systems, and just because a
21 particular Gentoo ebuild wants to create a user named foobar doesn't mean I
22 suddenly want that user to be visible on my Solaris systems...
23
24 I suppose for flexibility you could have some configuration option, that I
25 would prefer the option be for automatically created account to only be
26 created locally -- it would be annoying to suddenly find ldap polluted with
27 Gentoo specific accounts, or for emerges to fail because the Gentoo system
28 has no privileges to create LDAP accounts.
32 Paul B. Henson | (909) 979-6361 | http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
33 Operating Systems and Network Analyst | henson@×××××××××.edu
34 California State Polytechnic University | Pomona CA 91768
35 --
36 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list