From: Jason Harley <jharley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Adding System Users for Ebuilds
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:51:26
1 On Wed, 2006-21-06 at 18:39 -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:
2 > In general, I only use central authentication/naming systems for real
3 > users, not local system users. My central authentication/naming is
4 > shared across a number of different operating systems, and just
5 > because a particular Gentoo ebuild wants to create a user named foobar
6 > doesn't mean I suddenly want that user to be visible on my Solaris
7 > systems...
8
9 I'll second that. In addition, local accounts allow some failsafe if
10 you need to log into the box and the remote authentication system has
11 failed.
12
13 ./JRH
16 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list