From: Benjamin Smee <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] does ldap need sasl?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:32:52
1 lo,
2
3 On Saturday 21 May 2005 11:32, Chris S wrote:
4 > any ideas?
5 >
6 > -c
7 >
8 > Chris S wrote:
9 > > Hi all,
10 > >
11 > > Quick (hopefully) question:
12 > > If I'm setting up a server to authenticate everything via ldap, do I
13 > > need sasl?
14
15 You don't NEED sasl for ldap related authentication at all. The issue is more
16 that a lot of things, eg cyrus / postfix can use sasl layers to talk to ldap,
17 eg cyrus-sasl provides saslauthd which is how cyrus would talk to your ldap
18 server for authentication / authorization information. This is also true of
19 ldap clients that can also use sasl to auth to the ldap server using mechs
20 like cram / digest.
21
22 > > I thought sasl, apart from being a security layer, was another db to
23 > > hold users?
24
25 you are talking about sasldb which is indeed a db of users, but normally these
26 days more used for generating session stuff like cram / digest keys.
27
28 > > So if my users are in ldap, why would I need sasl also?
29 > >
30 > > Unless it's needed for secure authentication within ldap itself? ssl?
31
32 its not _needed_ but it can be useful. It just depends on your security model.
33
34 b
37 Benjamin Smee (strerror)
38 497F 5E98 1FA0 C313 EA0B 08C7 004A 66ED 448B E78C