From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] does ldap need sasl?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 22:37:51
1 Benjamin Smee wrote:
2 >>Chris S wrote:
3 >>
4 >>>Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>>Quick (hopefully) question:
7 >>>If I'm setting up a server to authenticate everything via ldap, do I
8 >>>need sasl?
9 Yes
12 > You don't NEED sasl for ldap related authentication at all. The issue is more
13 > that a lot of things, eg cyrus / postfix can use sasl layers to talk to ldap,
14 > eg cyrus-sasl provides saslauthd which is how cyrus would talk to your ldap
15 > server for authentication / authorization information. This is also true of
16 > ldap clients that can also use sasl to auth to the ldap server using mechs
17 > like cram / digest.
18 This is very theoretical. As a matter of fact you will not be able to
19 build openldap without SASL and AFAIK it's part of the LDAPv3 spec
20 (digest-md5 or cram-md5).
23 >>>I thought sasl, apart from being a security layer, was another db to
24 >>>hold users?
25 It's mostly a security layer and apart from the security layer plugins
26 you'll have some for persistent storage like mysql, ldap and sasldb. It
27 wouldn't make much sense without storing passwords somewhere right?
30 cheers
31 Paul
32 --
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list