From: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] does ldap need sasl?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 23:02:57
1 Paul Kölle wrote:
2
3 >Benjamin Smee wrote:
6 >>>Chris S wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>>Hi all,
11 >>>>
12 >>>>Quick (hopefully) question:
13 >>>>If I'm setting up a server to authenticate everything via ldap, do I
14 >>>>need sasl?
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >Yes
20 >>You don't NEED sasl for ldap related authentication at all. The issue is more
21 >>that a lot of things, eg cyrus / postfix can use sasl layers to talk to ldap,
22 >>eg cyrus-sasl provides saslauthd which is how cyrus would talk to your ldap
23 >>server for authentication / authorization information. This is also true of
24 >>ldap clients that can also use sasl to auth to the ldap server using mechs
25 >>like cram / digest.
28 >This is very theoretical. As a matter of fact you will not be able to
29 >build openldap without SASL and AFAIK it's part of the LDAPv3 spec
30 >(digest-md5 or cram-md5).
33 When I couldn't get LDAP to work with SASL originally I decided not to
34 use it (as I figured I use SSL anyway), and so I built openldap with
35 USE="-sasl" and it built and worked just fine without passing -x (with
36 MD5 crypt password).
40 >>>>I thought sasl, apart from being a security layer, was another db to
41 >>>>hold users?
42 >>>>
43 >>>>
44 >It's mostly a security layer and apart from the security layer plugins
45 >you'll have some for persistent storage like mysql, ldap and sasldb. It
46 >wouldn't make much sense without storing passwords somewhere right?
49 Forgive my ignorance, so you are suggesting that you should use SASLDB
50 to hold your "Manager" account for configuring LDAP?
51 Then use LDAP for everything else? I don't know where the "Manager"
52 account is actually stored if you don't use SASL under LDAP so I guess
53 this makes sense (but probably not!!). This would then also utilise the
54 security sasl authentication has to offer. I guess I don't quite
55 understand how you use SASL without a SASL db, hence the question in my
56 original email.
57
58 maybe I should just stick to mysql ;)
59
60 -c
63 >cheers
64 > Paul