From: gentoo@××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] qmail virtual domains + virtual users
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 16:55:15
1 The best solution (running on my server) is IMO - qmail + vpopmail +
2 courier-imap (I use this server also as pop3, pop3s, imap, imaps server).
3 I also use web interfaces like squirrelmail and qmailadmin. In te
4 beginning, VERY helpful page was this one for me:
5 http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/isp/webmail-server.htm , but if you
6 use gentoo ebuilds the configuration files will be a bit different and you
7 should also read more - for example original qmail howto from gentoo.org:
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/qmail-howto.xml
9 When you compile vpopmail use version 5.4.0-rc1 or higher, because lower
10 doesn't support qmailadmin - the VERY USEFULL tool for managing the qmail
11 virtual domains and one more notice - when I compiled vpopmail - the
12 ebuild had one bug - simple to repair (if you need some help just mail
13 me).
14 One question that you should also consider - how many users and domains
15 will you have on the server? user/password storage depends on the answer
16 (pure file system, mysql etc.)
17
18 Bye Petr Sp.
19
20 > Hello,
21 > I have a question regarding qmail.
22 > I have found some articles on google on how to manage virtual domains and
23 > virtual users in qmail.
24 > Some of this articles advised to use vmailmgr, but since the article is
25 > from 2000 and vmailmgr doesn't compile(known bug) I think I should use
26 > some other sollution.
27 > The big question is how can I do this? Do I need the aid of any additional
28 > program, or is qmail enough. I also need imap(with virtual server and
29 > users) to install squirrelmail.
30 > Could someone point me to a link or something?
31 >
32 > Thanks in advance,
33 > Dadi