From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] VPN server?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 02:43:19
1 Sébastien Arnaud wrote:
2 > I would like to setup a VPN server on a small Gentoo box to use it as
3 > an IPSec head end for an office (basically to give remote access to the
4 > members of the office).
5 > Any package in the Gentoo tree that you can recommend to help me to
6 > secure the box (firewall, packet filtering) and establish an IPsec tunnel?
7
8 It sounds as if there's a few things you want to do.
9
10 For a firewall, iptables is the way to go, no doubt. Make sure you
11 enable it in the kernel and 'emerge iptables' to get the userland tools.
12 This will also allow you to do stateful packet magic and the like.
13 Snazzy stuff. (http://www.netfilter.org)
14
15 As for IPsec and that sort of fun stuff, OpenSwan (was FreeSwan) seems
16 to be one of the better options. It will do all manners of IPsec magic
17 but I don't know what clients will work (at least not first hand). If I
18 recall, IPsec is universal and most if not all clients should work in
19 some capacity, but certainly don't quote me on that.
20 (http://www.openswan.org and check out
21 http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/interoperating for interoperating
22 with non-OpenSwan software.)
23
24 > Any of you have any experience/thoughts to share?
25
26 Iptables == your best friend.
27 OpenSwan == a close second.
28
29 Both of those sites have far more info, but hopefully this will get you
30 going. Hope this helps and good luck.
31 --
32 Eric Sammer
33 Gentoo Linux
34 http://www.gentoo.org