From: Gentoo Lists <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Processes Swapped Out?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:48:01
1 At 03:14 PM 10/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
2 >At 05:22 PM 10/16/2003 +0100, you wrote:
3 >>[snip]
4 >>
5 >> > I realize processes can be swapped in and out as necessary. But I did not
6 >> > expect a server coming up under no load to display this. I don't see this
7 >> > behavior on my Redhat severs. This sever has 512 MB of RAM. top shows
8 >> > about 62 MB of RAM used and all but one process is sleeping.
9 >> >
10 >> > Using 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 kernel.
11 >> >
12 >> > Is this normal behavior for Gentoo? Or did I miss something in setup?
13 >>
14 >>Try using a saner kernel. I'm not the biggest fan of the present
15 >>gentoo-sources.
16 >--Kerin
17 >
18 >A different kernel sounds like a reasonable thing to try. This is my
19 >first Gentoo install so I followed the path of least resistance as
20 >outlined in the install docs. Now that I have looked, I see there is
21 >choice of a lot of kernel sources.
24 I installed from the wolk-sources. My processes now show up as expected
25 with the command lines showing.
26
27 But I can not get to my console. Keyboard is dead when it boots to the
28 wolk kernel. I can ssh into the box. Is this related to grsecurity or I
29 have messed up something else?
30
31 -Karl