From: Jared Klett <jklett@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] 3ware controllers (was: 3.3 TB reiserfs volume not mounting at boot, and is unusable afterwards)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:17:33
1 On Aug 24, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Robert Welz wrote:
2
3 > Jared Klett wrote:
4 >
5 >>> BTW: Are jou running an UPS with your 3ware controller? I've just
6 >>> fiddled out how not to corrupt my HDs with the 3ware Inc 7xxx/
7 >>> 8xxx-series PATA/RAID controller when the nut-ups software shuts
8 >>> down on power failure.
9 >> I don't have a UPS, but the server has a redundant power
10 >> supply which is connected to two separate power circuits. so if
11 >> one goes out, no big deal. in addition, the 9500-12MI controller
12 >> has a battery-backup unit (BBU) installed to preserve the write
13 >> cache in case of a power failure.
14 >> if you're concerned about power failures when using 3ware
15 >> cards, I recommend turning off the write cache, or using a BBU
16 >> (costs about $100) if you're using a 95XX-series controller.
17 > Yes. First flush at shutdown then immediately following a switch-
18 > off of the cache.
19 >
20 > Did you get the webserver management software to run? I couldn't,
21 > it always crashed. But the console client works. Some scripting and
22 > polling every 30 minutes and it sends emails on alerts and
23 > failures. But the 3ware webserver would be more convenient, at
24 > least a bit I think.
25
26 I, too, have had difficulty on older Gentoo systems with a 2.4.x
27 kernel.
28
29 the latest release of 3DM2 (9.3.0.4) seems to have corrected a lot
30 of issues when run with 7-8xxx controllers. I have a few systems with
31 8006-2 controllers and one with a 7506-4 that have 3DM2 running
32 happily. but all those are running 2.6.x kernels... so I'm not sure
33 if there are still issues with 3DM2 on 2.4.x kernels.
34
35 cheers,
36
37 - Jared
40 It's yet another in a long series of diversions in an attempt to
41 avoid responsibility.
45 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list