From: Robert Welz <welz@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] 3.3 TB reiserfs volume not mounting at boot, and is unusable afterwards
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:54:06
1 Jared Klett wrote:
4 >> BTW: Are jou running an UPS with your 3ware controller? I've just
5 >> fiddled out how not to corrupt my HDs with the 3ware Inc
6 >> 7xxx/8xxx-series PATA/RAID controller when the nut-ups software shuts
7 >> down on power failure.
8 >
9 > I don't have a UPS, but the server has a redundant power supply
10 > which is connected to two separate power circuits. so if one goes out,
11 > no big deal. in addition, the 9500-12MI controller has a battery-backup
12 > unit (BBU) installed to preserve the write cache in case of a power
13 > failure.
14 >
15 > if you're concerned about power failures when using 3ware cards, I
16 > recommend turning off the write cache, or using a BBU (costs about $100)
17 > if you're using a 95XX-series controller.
18 Yes. First flush at shutdown then immediately following a switch-off of
19 the cache.
20
21 Did you get the webserver management software to run? I couldn't, it
22 always crashed. But the console client works. Some scripting and polling
23 every 30 minutes and it sends emails on alerts and failures. But the
24 3ware webserver would be more convenient, at least a bit I think.
25
26 Greetings,
27 Robert.
28 --