From: Jared Klett <jklett@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] 3.3 TB reiserfs volume not mounting at boot, and is unusable afterwards
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:23:37
1 On Aug 24, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Robert Welz wrote:
2
3 > Jared Klett wrote:
4 >
5 >> Partition type? [primary]?
6 >> File system type? [ext2]? reiserfs
7 >> Start? 0.0
8 >> End? 3600G
9 >> (parted) print
10 >> Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0kB - 3600GB
11 >> Disk label type: gpt
12 >> Number Start End Size File system Name
13 >> Flags
14 >> 1 17kB 3600GB 3600GB
15 >> (parted) quit
16 >
17 > Hi.
18 > I think the "file system" parameter is missing.
19
20 hi! yes, that isn't correct... it should be "reiserfs".
21
22 it doesn't appear until after you run mkreiserfs. example:
23
24 Using /dev/sdb
25 (parted) p
26 Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0kB - 3600GB
27 Disk label type: gpt
28 Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
29 1 17kB 3600GB 3600GB reiserfs
30
31 > IMHO it must be 83 or "Linux".
32
33 according to the parted manual, it can be one of the following:
34
35 ext2
36 fat16, fat32
37 hfs, hfs+, hfsx
38 linux-swap
39 NTFS
40 reiserfs
41 ufs
42
43 > BTW: Are jou running an UPS with your 3ware controller? I've just
44 > fiddled out how not to corrupt my HDs with the 3ware Inc 7xxx/8xxx-
45 > series PATA/RAID controller when the nut-ups software shuts down on
46 > power failure.
47
48 I don't have a UPS, but the server has a redundant power supply
49 which is connected to two separate power circuits. so if one goes
50 out, no big deal. in addition, the 9500-12MI controller has a battery-
51 backup unit (BBU) installed to preserve the write cache in case of a
52 power failure.
53
54 if you're concerned about power failures when using 3ware cards, I
55 recommend turning off the write cache, or using a BBU (costs about
56 $100) if you're using a 95XX-series controller.
57
58 unfortunately the 7-8xxx series controllers don't have BBU capability.
59
60 cheers,
61
62 - Jared