From: Michael Liesenfelt <mliesenf@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscanning worm? / GRSecurity
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:53:07
1 I definitely agree.
2
3 xyon wrote:
4
5 >down more tightly. I'd also recommend disabling loadable module support in
6 >your kernel ;)
7 >
8 >Also, didn't that paper on the idle scan mention that more random IPIDs
9 >would help prevent idle scans? GrSecurity has just the feature to take
10 >care of this. You might want to check into using some of the GRSecurity
11 >features in the kernel. :)
12 >
13 >HTH!
14 >
15 I decided to make all of my servers on hardened gentoo kernels without
16 loadable module support. GRSecurity has a number of great features
17 including /proc restrictions, memory randomization, trusted execution,
18 and denial of server sockets to users. The trusted execution is a very
19 powerful feature. "Untrusted users will not be able to execute any files
20 that are not in root-owned directories writable only by root."
21
22 Also, I think the Gentoo Infrastructure servers are all hardened boxes.
25 Michael Liesenfelt
26 University of Florida
27 Innovative Nuclear Space Power and Propulsion Institute

mliesenf.vcf text/x-vcard