From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 05:02:27
1 > Back to the original question. How do I run a number of gentoo boxes
2 > without gcc (or a portage tree)?
5 > -Ronan
6
7 Sorry for the late post, I'm still catching up on email.
8
9 I haven't looked into removing gcc (but your comments intrigue me). As
10 for no portage tree, all of my machines auto-NFS mount it from a local
11 build host that also holds the binary packages. The NFS mount is set
12 read-only so the novice doesn't get to emerge on the machine (yes it's
13 easily subverted). I've found this helps with stability since then
14 everything must go through the same build server and I have better
15 guarantees about what is actually on the individual machines. There are
16 a couple of different images to take care of the different roles each of
17 those servers take on (web server, database server, mail server, etc.).
18
19 I've also been looking into PXE booting so I only need to update a
20 single image. To be honest I'm not quite ready for this yet, but it
21 might be another option for you.
22
23 Brian
24 --