From: Ronan Mullally <ronan@×××.ie>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:57:27
1 On Mon, 21 May 2007, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
2
3 > But, of course, if they got access to the box, then the compiler is the
4 > least of your problems at that time, but I have to admit that the
5 > "slowing the attacker down" is an extra layer of protection. It provides
6 > the sysadmins/users/monitoring software more time to detect the breach.
7
8 Removing development tools is one of just a range of security measures.
9 It is by no means the be-all and end-all of security - hence my mention of
10 security in depth. There are easily a couple of dozen security measures I
11 implement when installing a box. Removing development tools (or in most
12 cases, never installing them) is just one of them, but we diverge...
13
14 Back to the original question. How do I run a number of gentoo boxes
15 without gcc (or a portage tree)?
18 -Ronan
19 --
20 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list