From: Justin Cataldo <jc@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 04:27:15
1 >Back to the original question. How do I run a number of gentoo boxes
2 >without gcc (or a portage tree)?
3
4 This all sounds way over my head, but anyway... could distcc be the answer?
5
6 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml
7
8 JC
9
10 On 5/22/07, Ronan Mullally <ronan@×××.ie> wrote:
11 >
12 > On Mon, 21 May 2007, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
13 >
14 > > But, of course, if they got access to the box, then the compiler is the
15 > > least of your problems at that time, but I have to admit that the
16 > > "slowing the attacker down" is an extra layer of protection. It provides
17 > > the sysadmins/users/monitoring software more time to detect the breach.
18 >
19 > Removing development tools is one of just a range of security measures.
20 > It is by no means the be-all and end-all of security - hence my mention of
21 > security in depth. There are easily a couple of dozen security measures I
22 > implement when installing a box. Removing development tools (or in most
23 > cases, never installing them) is just one of them, but we diverge...
24 >
25 > Back to the original question. How do I run a number of gentoo boxes
26 > without gcc (or a portage tree)?
29 > -Ronan
30 > --
31 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list